Connect for Health Colorado will open the new insurance “marketplace” for individuals, families, and small businesses on October 1st. Today, I want to tell you about the strong protections they have in place to make sure your private, personal information stays private!
Here is what you can expect when you go to the Marketplace to shop for health insurance:
- Initial Financial Assistance Assessment: You provide the absolute minimum of information needed.
- Your Health Information: You will be asked three questions only – whether you are pregnant, have a disability, or use tobacco products – which are needed to help you access programs or calculate the cost of your insurance. Nowhere in the application process will you be asked if you are HIV+. Nor will your medical records be made available to Connect for Health Colorado.
- Customer Support Network: Has restricted access to your information.
- Certified Health Coverage Guides: No access to your information after your application is complete.
- Licensed Health Insurance Agents and Brokers: Access to limited portions of your data, only after certification and after you have given them authorization.
- Customer Service Center Representatives: Subject to physical and electronic controls to keep information secure and private.
- Additional Protections:
- Layers of physical, administrative, and electronic protections to protect information from unauthorized use, access, or malicious activity.
- Independent third parties and several federal and state organizations will test, inspect, and audit Connect for Health Colorado’s systems.
Here is my personal experience…
I recently completed 50+ hours of training to become a Certified Health Coverage Guide for Connect for Health Colorado. I had the opportunity to go through the application process and the financial assistance “Quick Check” on their test site. The language and navigation was relatively simple. The site is set up so you can try out different features before having to commit to buying anything. When they say “layers of protections” they mean it! The full application has password-protected account access, security questions, and authorization pages.
My hope for you, come October 1st, is that you will find Connect for Health Colorado is providing a safe, trusted Marketplace for you with many customer service resources to help you along the way.